Welcome to Carthage

About Carthage Mississippi


Established in 1834 by the Harris Family, the city was named for their hometown of Carthage, Tennessee. Carthage was originally to have been called Leakesville. On July 31, 1834, the Board of Police selected Carthage as the county seat of Leake County. The land on which the original settlement was built was donated in June, 1835 by Thomas L. Harris and his wife, Matilda.

Carthage News

Carthage Comments

Please configure!

 
   
2604 24th Avenue Gulfport, MS 39501 | 1-888-445-8694
© 2011 Mississippi.com is owned and operated by CCF Consulting, Inc. | Login