Find it in Batesville
The Land upon which present day Batesville is situated originally belonged to a Chickasaw Indian called Ish-Sho-Nu-Nah. It was part of the Chickasaw cession to the Federal Government, which in turn vested title to over2,000 acres of land to Ish-Sho-Nu-Nah by the treaty of Pontotoc Creek in 1832.
In early days, the town of Batesville was a secondary frontier community, lacking the river location of Panola and Belmont, the two leading towns of that day in North Mississippi. Old Panola, as it is now called, was located about one mile northwest of the present site of Batesville, and was a bitter rival of Belmont for the location of the county seat in 1864.