Welcome to Starkville

About Starkville Mississippi


The early settlement of the Starkville area was started after the Choctaw inhabitants of Oktibbeha County surrendered their claims to land in the area in the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830. White settlers were drawn to the Starkville area because of two large springs. A mill southwest of town provided clapboards which gave the town its original name, Boardtown. In 1835, Boardtown was established as the county seat of Oktibbeha County and its name was changed to Starkville in honor of Revolutionary War hero General John Stark.
Starkville Welcome Sign Starkville Community Theater Starkville Sportsplex
Starkville Welcome Sign
Starkville Community Theater
Starkville Sportsplex

Starkville News

Starkville Comments

Please configure!



 
   
2604 24th Avenue Gulfport, MS 39501 | 1-888-445-8694
© 2011 Mississippi.com is owned and operated by CCF Consulting, Inc. | Login